Choosing a Hospice
6 Things You Should Know About Your Hospice
With multiple hospice providers in the area, it is important to make the best choice for your loved one. The following are important questions to ask when choosing hospice services:
- Is the hospice organization a non-profit that focuses on the patient and quality care? Research over the past two decades has indicated that non-profit hospices are more likely to provide better care and support services for patients and families. The bottom line is that non-profit hospices place the patient and their family first.
- Does the hospice organization have a full-time physician on staff who makes home visits and is board-certified in Palliative Care Medicine?
- What is the average caseload per nurse? The lower the caseload, the better the care.
- Does the hospice organization have full-time nurses dedicated to only weekend and evening hours?
- How does the hospice organization meet the spiritual and emotional needs of the patient and family?
- What type of reputation does the hospice organization have in the local medical community regarding the quality of services provided?
At Hospice of Yuma, our patients and families are provided the best care and support. We realize that choosing a hospice that will do right by your loved one can be a daunting task, which is why it is essential to be informed. Asking questions and researching your healthcare options is not only your prerogative, it is also your right.